Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Miyabi-Koshikihari

My first actual rice review! So I bought a bag of Miyabi-Koshikihari short grain rice about a month and a half ago. Just to let you know: my family doesn't like short grain rice, only long grain Jasmine rice. I'm the only oddity in my family. Anyway, I've made the rice about seven times now. Each time I tried a different amount of water. I found that, in my rice cooker, 1.25:1 or 1.5:1 water to rice ratio makes the best rice.
The flavor is nice and mild with a hint of sweetness, which I like. The fluffiness (for lack of a better term) is about 5.6-6 on the rice scale - completely subjective fluffiness scale.
Off topic (slightly): I discovered something last night that blew my mind. A mix of short grain and long grain with a 1:1 ratio of water to rice made the most amazing rice I've ever eaten.
Overall score for Miyabi-Koshikihari: 7.5
I may change this score as I try more rice brands and establish a baseline for scoring.
Happy eating!