Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tamanishiki Super Premium Short Grain Rice

So, we've come to the second in what will hopefully be a long line of rice reviews. I'm not so focused on how many people are actually reading this blog; I'm more interested in all the rice I get to eat in order to write it. So, without further ado.
Tamanishiki Super Premium Short Grain Rice.
They had me at Super Premium. If you're going to make a claim like that, you'd better back it up. And they did, but not really. The rice came out nice and fluffy. However, I would add a dash more water with this rice. I give it an A for color and taste - but I'm not giving out grades, but points. Also, the grains were more separated than other short grain varieties. This rice was like a great hybrid between jasmine and short. The only downside to this rice is that you have to eat it hot right out of the cooker. It doesn't reheat well. And that's a pretty fatal flaw if you ask me. It actually starts to harden into a dried piece of.....crap the second it starts to cool down. I love me some leftover rice so, for me, if it doesn't reheat well, there's no point in buying it again. And I was so excited when it came out of the rice cooker. Oh well.
Final Grade: 5 out of 10
5 points for taste, texture and separation right after cooking.
-5 points for horrible reheatability.